Skip to main content

Full text of "Proceedings of the Littleton Historical Society"

See other formats



[ 3 1833 00068 9023 

Gc 974-402 L73s No, 3, 1908 
Littleton Historical Society 

(Mass- ) 
Proceedings of the Littleton 

Historical Society 

Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 





NO. 3. 




Littleton, Massachusetts 

Published by the Historical Society 


Some Reminiscences of Seventy Years. 

Prepared by Hon. George W. Sanderson for the Littleton Historical 

Society, and read Feb. 22, 1907, by his daughter, 

Miss Fannie A. Sanderson. 

Others from time to time have entertainingly and clearly set forth in 
defined outline records of Littleton's history, either in its civic and social inter- 
ests or in its educational issues and religious developments. Perhaps I may 
be permitted to relate at random some of my personal reminiscences during 
the past seventy years. 

From my earliest memory, Littleton has been characterized for temper- 
ance, sobriety and good order, a state of affairs only possible by the vigilance, 
loyalty and high endeavor of its citizens. 

Although the population of the town has changed but little, it has had 
its own special problems to meet. 

In 1836 the Legislature passed an act making Henry Jaques, Abijah 
Goodridge and Hamilton Davidson and their assistants a corporation by the 
name of the Charlestown Branch Railroad Company, and authorizing them 
to build a railroad from Swett's wharf in Charlestown to a connection with 
the Boston & Lowell railroad, near the McLean Asylum. In 1842 an act 
was passed incorporating the Fitchburg railroad, authorizing the building of 
the road from a point on Charlestown branch road to Fitchburg. Later the 
Charlestown branch became the property of the Fitchburg railroad. In 1847 
authority was granted this company to extend its road into Boston, and the 
old stone depot was built and trains first ran into Boston over this road in 
that year. Alvah Crocker was the first president of the Fitchburg railroad. 
The road was opened to Waltham, Dec. 20, 1843; Waltha'm to Concord, 
June 17, 1844; Concordv to South Acton, Oct. 1, 1844; South Acton to 
Shirley, Dec. 30, 1844; Shirley to Fitchburg, March 4, 1845. 

I was an interested observer when, about 1843, the first gravel was 
moved near my house for building the Fitchburg railroad. When it was 
extended, in the following year, to Shirley, my neighbor, John A. Kimball, 
helped to lay the rails. In October, 1845, the road was completed to 
Fitchburg. For a number of years there was but a single track of light and 
slender rails, with only three accommodation trains to and from Boston a day; 
and in size and character the cars and engines were small and greatly inferior 
to those of to-day. But compared to the jolting, uncomfortable and slow 
stage-coach, they were palatial. 

—3 — 

A cooper shop, successively owned by my great grandfather Moses, my 
grandfather Samuel and my uncle Samuel, standing near where Asahel W. 
Sawyer's store now stands, was used as the freight house before the first 
depot was built. In the winter of 1844-45 the first railroad depot, consisting 
of a room for passengers, another for freight and a dwelling and ell in the 
center, was erected near where the present station now stands. Joseph 
Warren Smith, a younger brother of Horatio N. Smith, was the first depot 
master. In 1879 this depot was moved south onto the railroad company's 
land, and made into a two-tenement dwelling house, and the present depot 
was built. 

The railroad route through Littleton was probably determined partly by 
the opposition from those controlling business on the old stage lines from 
Boston to Keene, N. H. They felt that a railroad in their vicinity would be 
ruinous to their interests. Rather, the three railroads that now touch the 
town at North, East and West, supplanting the old stages and heavy teaming, 
have affected most favorably the business life of Littleton as well as its social 

Over the stage route it was customary for the farmers to go to Boston 
with produce. When a young boy, I occasionally went with my father in a 
one-horse team to carry farm products for himself and his neighbors to Hiram 
Jacobs of Charlestown. Mr. Jacobs, whose grandchildren now reside here, 
had been a Littleton boy, and was then doing a prosperous business in a store 
which he had established in Charlestown Square. We would start toward 
night, driving as far as Viles' Tavern, Lexington, where we would feed the 
horse and enjoy our own luncheon. In that way, we did not arrive in 
Charlestown until early in the morning. On one of these trips we viewed a 
torch light procession, probably when Van Buren was a candidate for Presi- 
dent, for I well recall the lines floating from the banner; they had a rhythm, 
which I have never forgotten: 

"Martin Van 
Is the man ; 
Is no comparison." 

As with other New England villages, Littleton suffered appreciable loss 
in the cause of the Civil War. The sturdiness and loyalty that her sons 
had shown for their native town, then became a pride to devote to their 
country, and our town continued recruiting and paying bounty until the end 
of the war, furnishing one hundred and seventeen men, eighteen more than 
her quota called for. A list of eligible men, between the ages of eighteen 
and forty-five, was kept in the provost-marshal's office in Concord, and if a 
sufficient number did not respond to the President's call for volunteers, a 
draft was made. In Lowell arid other places, I remember listening to the 
mustering officer as he stepped in front of the ranks of soldiers holding up 
their right hands, and administered the following oath : 

'' You solemnly swear to bear true faith and allegiance to the United 
States of America, to serve her honestly and faithfully against all enemies or 
opposers whomsoever, that you will obey all orders of the President of the 
United States and the orders of all officers appointed over you." 

The town officers for that period were : 

Selectmen, 1861-1862. Selectmen, 1863, 1864 and 186S. 
John F. Robbins, Joseph A. Priest, 

John Cutter, William Kimball, 

James A. Parker, George W. Sanderson. 

The Town Clerk in 1861, and through the war, was William Kimball. 
In 1861, the Town Treasurer was William Chamberlain, and in '62, '63, 
'64 and '65, Luther White. Of the above-mentioned officers, the writer of 
this article is the only surviving member. 

My first vote for Governor was cast November, 1851, for George S. 
Boutwell of Groton. As a delegate, I attended in 1853 a political conven- 
tion in Fitchburg, over which Robert C. Winthrop presided, and at which 
Emery. Washburn was nominated a candidate for Governor. At this con- 
vention, Dr. Bell, Superintendent of the McLean Asylum, a delegate from 
Somerville, was called upon for a speech. When he did not quickly come 
forward, on all sides were heard the words ' Bell! Bell!" When Winthrop 
said "If I could get hold of the string of that bell I would make it ring," 
Dr. Bell responded. 

During the session of 1877, when I was a member of the Legislature, 
the question of Woman's Suffrage was agitating the public. I recall a 
remark made by William Lloyd Garrison in favor of this subject during a 
recess of one of the sessions. He said the friends would stick to it until it 
was accomplished, as Mordecai did at the King's gate. On the same plat- 
form sat Julia Ward Howe and Lucy Stone. 

The following incident Lucy Stone referred to on that occasion : She 
had spent several days canvassing the community in Westford for funds in 
aid of the church. At one of the church meetings she voted. The black- 
eyed minister, who presided, took exceptions to her vote, saying, " There's 
a woman voting!" She thought his position was most unjust, after she had 
done most of the work previously. 

That the scope of school work has enlarged since my school days is 
evident from reading the school reports from 1849, the earliest date that I 
have been able to find any in printed form, and of course my school days 
were previous to that date. Although in some lights, it may be a misfortune 
not to receive the advantages of the modern school, I feel that it was of 
incalculable benefit to me to come under the educational influence of the 
schools of my day. Some figures have always stood out in my memory with 
especial regard. I knew Rev. William H. White, both as a school official 
and as a minister, being superintendent of schools for twenty-three years, 
including all my school days and those of my wife, and it was he who per- 
formed our wedding ceremony in 1851. He always considered every school 
and every scholar as a personal charge, and thus stimulated the pupil's ambi- 
tion by encouraging words. 

In the Autumn of 1843, Miss Martha Carter, a niece of Rev. William 
H. White, taught a private school in the old brick school-house at the 
Center; she was an excellent teacher. Some of the older scholars were 
Lucy M. Hartwell, later Mrs. J. A. Harwood, Susan Smith, Henry Warren, 
John W. Parker and myself. She became the wife of Dr. Wellington of 

When my father took me to her private school, and stopped at the 
residence of Mr. White, where Miss Carter was boarding, Mr. White 
stepped to the wagon to greet me. After father had referred to the mission 
upon which he came, he said, "if my boy does not behave send him home." 
With a broad smile, Mr. White benignantly answered, 'I know he will." 
At once this put me on my best behavior. I quote this instance to illustrate 
his whole attitude toward the youth of the day. Mr. White was one of the 
best men I ever knew. Perhaps encouragement made a deeper impression 
upon me, for the methods of discipline seemed severe at times. Two leading 
requirements of a teacher were ability to govern boys and to successfully mend 
a quill pen. I have not forgotten the unequal contest between two school 
boys of my childhood. They were violating the law of good order by some 
trifling misdemeanor, when they were called to stand directly before the 
school and instructed to pull each other's hair. One wore his hair closely 
cut and the other rather long. Under the necessity of the case, one alone 
received punishment. If a boy was discovered drawing upon his slate, any- 
thing except for the demands of reading, spelling and arithmetic, he w r as 
censured, a marked contrast to the attitude toward drawing in our public 
schools to-day. 

From Thomas Garland, teacher of the West School, I gained my first 
interest in geography ; as he had followed the sea, the knowledge he gave 
was practical and excellent. It had the salt air in it. 

Mr. Garland married Harriet Kimball, daughter of Daniel Kimball of 
Littleton, and settled in Dover, N. H., where they both died. Mr. Garland's 
sister was the wife of Rev. Oliver Ayer, who, from 1837-1843, was the Baptist 
minister in Littleton. 

A scholarly man, of dignified bearing and musical temperament, who 
taught in the North, South and West districts, was Otis Wight of Westford. 
He was a contemporary of Miss Hannah Dodge, and after he went to 
Washington as principal of a private school, he often returned to this town, 
and held a warm interest in his former pupils. 

Of necessity, the length of the public school year was short, but private 
schools were supplemented in vacations. 

When eight years of age I attended a private school taught by Miss 
Hannah Rogers, a woman of ability and influence. I now have in my 
possession, in her own handwriting, a receipt for tuition, of which the 
following is a copy: 

"Littleton, Nov. 21st, 1838 

Mr. Sanderson, 

To Hannah Rogers, Dr. 

To tuition of George S., 9 weeks $2.25 

Received payment. 

H. Rogers." 

Miss Rogers died July 2d, 1847, aged 37 years, and was buried in the 
Old Cemetery at Littleton Common. She was the daughter of Mr. Eri 
Rogers, who kept a store near where Central Hall now stands. 



There are many other teachers of whom I have pleasant recollections, 
among them Miss Susan A. Kimball, who married Air. John F. Robbins, 
Miss Mary A. Kimball, later Mrs. Augustus K. Porter, and Miss Elizabeth 
Kimball, who married George Stevens, Esq., afterwards District Attorney 
for Middlesex County. 

Some of the larger scholars were Amelia Breck, who married William 
P. Tilden of St. Louis, Missouri, Sarah Breck, who married Marshall Hager 
of Richmond, Maine, who afterwards was a ship builder, Hannah Dodge, and 
Emily Wright, a sister of Mrs. James A. Parker. 

When I was about ten years old, a religious interest swept through the J 

town as an outgrowth of the preaching of William Miller. He had been,, i'' -y 

holding meetings in the Baptist Church, a brick building situate at the corner \^/^ ' 
of King Street and the road leading to Charles P. Hartwell's house, and had 
gained enthusiastic followers in this section. Anxious to promulgate his 
truth, camp meeting grounds were opened in a hard wood grove on the 
southeast side of the lower Harvard road, on what is now the pasture land 
of J. H. D. Whitcomb. This well-chosen spot was made attractive with all 
appointments. A pulpit of rough boards was hung with pictures symbolizing 
illustrations of the Second Advent prophecies ; the seats had a capacity for 
hundreds and in the background were tents. The line of travel for these 
meetings passed my father's house, as day after day they came in single teams 
and in stages from the neighboring towns, and from Lowell, Marlboro, and 
even more remote distances. After spirited singing that pealed through the 
forest, men of talent expounded the doctrine of the Millerites or Second 
Adventists, as they were called, and exhorted the hearers to prepare for the 
second coming of Christ and the immediate destruction of the world. During 
the service, the congregation was urged to contribute generously, and jewelry, 
keepsakes, money, and family heir-looms were sacrificed under the excitement 
of the hour. 

Expecting the end of the world about the year 1843, secular business 
was suspended, and they prepared as they would for death. Many converts 
who had raised fine crops of corn and potatoes refused to harvest them. 
They gave away their cattle and household possessions, and waited in some 
fitting place for the Lord to appear. I think Mr. Miller was not a brilliant, 
but a sincere man, and his apparent sincerity carried weight. 

Seventy years of a man's life sees many changes, and, while we still cherish 
the memories of the past, we look forward with great hope to the future: 

" For still the new transcends the old 
In signs and tokens manifold." 



Memoir of Edward Frost, Civil Engineer 

By George A. Kimball, 

Chief Engineer Boston Elevated Railway. 

Read Nov. 2, 1908. 

Edward Frost, Civil Engineer, who died in Newton, July 9, 1908, 
represented one of the early New England families, his ancestor, Thomas 
Frost, having received a grant to lands in Framingham, Mass., from Gov. 
Thomas Danforth under date of March 25, 1693. Mr. Frost's father, Dr. 
Edward Frost, was born in Framingham, April 1, 1798, the eighth of the 
ten children of Elisha and Miliscent (Winch) Frost. Dr. Frost graduated at 
Harvard University in 1822, and was principal of the Framingham Academy 
in 1823. He married Sarah Dix, daughter of Deacon Benjamin Dix, a 
prominent citizen of Littleton, Mass., and was a practicing physician in 
Wayland, where Benjamin Dix Frost was born in 1830 and Edward Frost 
May 23, 1832. Their boyhood days were spent in Wayland where they 
attended the public schools. Soon after their father's death in 1838, Mrs. 
Frost and her two children changed their residence to Framingham, Mass., 
where the boys attended the Framingham Academy, of which the father, 
Dr. Edward Frost, had been the principal. In 1842 and 1843, Edward 
Frost attended the Lawrence Academy at Groton, Mass. After 1844, 
Mrs. Frost and her two sons made their home with her father, Deacon 
Benjamin Dix, in Littleton, Mass., and Edward continued his studies at 
Lawrence Academy, from which he graduated in 1846. While at Groton 
he proved himself to be an excellent scholar, and in a public exhibition given 
November 18, 1845, delivered the valedictory oration in Latin. Hon. Sam- 
uel A. Green, since known as the Groton Historian, gave the salutatory in 
Latin, and Hon. Joseph A. Harwood of Littleton had a prominent part. 

Immediately after Mr. Frost graduated from Groton he entered Har- 
vard University at the age of 14, where he made great progress as a scholar 
and graduated with honors in 1850. He was a member of the Phi Beta 
Kappa Society, to which are admitted only those students who have 
attained high honors in scholarship. At the Commencement Exercises held 
July 17, 1850, his part was a dissertation entitled "Satirical Literature as a 
Source of Historical Delineation." 

Mr. Frost then entered the office of Stearns and Sanborn, Civil Engi- 
neers of Charlestown, Mass., the same office, then Felton and Parker, in 
which his brother, Benjamin D., started in his professional career four years 

previous. In this office he followed the usual course of study and practice 
of civil engineering, fulfilling engagements during subsequent years in New 
Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Caro- 
lina, Florida, Maryland and at Washington, D. C. In 1861 and earlier, he 
was engaged with the late General M. C. Meigs on the construction of the 
Washington aqueduct which is carried over the Cabin John Creek by a 
beautiful arch bridge, the longest stone arch span in America. During the 
Civil War he superintended the construction, under military direction, of 
many of the defences at Washington. Commencing in 1863, he was en- 
gaged as chief engineer in charge of building permanent fortifications at 
Forts Taylor and Jefferson, Florida. On the completion of the work in 
Florida, he was engaged in building a railroad in North Carolina, from which 
he was called home to Littleton on account of the serious illness of his 
mother, whose death followed in 1866, after which Mr. Frost returned to 
North Carolina. 

In 1867 he relinquished his work with the U. S. Government and 
opened an office in Boston with his brother, Benjamin D., under the name 
of Frost Brothers, Civil Engineers, and for many vears occupied an office at 
No. 68 Cornhill. 

In May 1868, his brother, Benjamin D., was appointed Chief Engineer 
of the Hoosac Tunnel and Troy and Greenfield R. R. and successfully com- 
pleted the great tunnel under the Hoosac Mountain. In the early studies 
for the tunnel he was assisted by his brother Edward. 

Edward Frost was engineer for the Town of Somerville, Mass., from 
1868 to 1871, and designed a general system of sewerage and other municipal 
improvements. In 1869, he was appointed Chief Engineer of the Massa- 
chusetts Central R. R., extending from Boston through the central portion 
of Massachusetts to Northampton, and continued in charge until 1875. In 
1872 he made a study of the proposed improvements in Miller's River and 
published a pamphlet entitled " Preliminary Discussion of the Miller's River 
Nuisance and its Remedy." He continued in general office practice until 
1890, when he retired. 

At Cambridge, Mass., on October 4, 1871, Mr. Edward Frost married 
Ellen Maria, daughter of Rev. Dr. A. B. Muzzey and Hopsibeth (Patterson) 
Muzzey. They resided in Boston for a year, then in Cambridge and later 
in Littleton. Mrs. Frost survives him and lives in Newton, f There are no 

About the year 1868, he again made his residence in Littleton, Mass., 
and with his brother owned and occupied the old house on the main road 
from Littleton Centre to the station of the Fitchburg R. R., formerly 
occupied by his grandfather, Benjamin Dix. While a resident of Littleton, 
he was much interested in town affairs and took an active part in the town 
meetings. He was one of the committee for building the town hall, a mem- 
ber of the school committee from 1888 to 1890, one of the first cemetery 
commissioners, and at the time of his death was a member of a committee 
for printing the vital records of Littleton. Lender his leadership, the two 
cemeteries in the town were materially improved, and arrangements made for 
perpetual care of the lots. 

—9 — 

Mr. Frost was always active in religious matters, and was connected 
with the First Congregational (Unitarian) Church in Littleton and served 
the church as deacon, also as clerk, and was at one time a member of the 
advisory committee. He was on the committee for revising the church 
covenant, and was instrumental in forming the " Curator's Club," the mem- 
bers of which paid a certain sum annually for church affairs and improvements. 
He was the prime mover in the formation of the North Middlesex Unitarian 
Conference. He was interested in all the affairs of the church and society, 
and at a meeting of the former read a very interesting and valuable paper 
entitled " The Visible .Church." Mr. Frost always enjoyed music and 
commenced its study with his mother, who was presented by her father 
with an organ which was the first musical instrument of its kind in the 
town. After he commenced business in Boston, he served as organist at his 
church in Littleton and was active in organizing a musical club in the town. 

Mr. Frost was one of the original members of the Littleton Historical 
Society and contributed a paper at its first regular meeting held September 
23, 1894, entitled " Notes of a Survey Made August 25, 1894, on the Slopes 
and Near the South Westerly Base of Nashoba Hill." Later he read a 
paper entitled "The Error on the Shattuck Monument." The following 
year he contributed a paper entitled " Our Great Elm," which formerly 
stood near the westerly bank of Beaver Brook and in the rear of the house 
formerly occupied by Alonzo Hartwell, and two other papers entitled 
"Obituary of Joel Proctor" and "What Ought the Town to do for the 
Better Preservation of its Records." 

That Mr. Frost was an extraordinary man in many particulars was 
exhibited during his school days and college life, where he displayed a 
remarkable grasp of all the studies which he undertook. His thorough 
education was manifest during his whole life. It was carefully watched over 
by his efficient and devoted mother in his early days, and was rounded out 
and completed during his course in academies, college, and subsequent work 
as a civil engineer. Those of his acquaintances who knew him best recog- 
nized and appreciated his ability, and his fine qualities of mind and heart 
which endeared him to all who were privileged to share his friendship. 

The writer feels under great obligations to Mr. Edward Frost, who 
advised him in regards to his first studies in civil engineering, later received 
him in his employ, and gave him valuable training and encouragement in the 
first practice of his profession. He well remembers t^ie many precepts 
which Mr. Frost laid down for his guidance, and today appreciates, more 
than ever before, the high scholarship, the broad mind, the kind heart, and 
able leadership of his Chief. 

10 — 


|)ERY INC. |§ 

^ MAY on